Questions about the Antishock extension
- Why does Yandex block «bad» ads?
- What types of ads are considered harmful or shocking by Antishock?
- How does Antishock differ from other ad-blocking extensions?
- Antishock has mistakenly blocked ads on my site. What should I do?
- Antishock allowed a shocking banner to display on a webpage. How can I prevent it from displaying in my browser?
- My site's content is not appealing to advertisers. "White" ad networks don't want to work with me and "gray" and "black" ones are blocked by Antishock. What networks can I use?
- I got rid of my ad network's shocking banners, but the network still blocked. What should I do?
- My ad network is «white» but the moderators sometimes allow shocking banners through. Will my network be blocked?
- My ad network is gray; both shocking and regular banners are served on sites. What should I do to prevent my network from being blocked?
- Can Antishock block a major ad network such as Yandex.Direct?
Antishock is an extension for Yandex Browser that blocks banners containing unpleasant images, porn, or ads for websites that may offer fraudulent services.
Why does Yandex block «bad» ads?
Along with useful ads, there are also annoying, unpleasant or even «dangerous» banner ads on the internet. They may contain pornographic images, lead to fraudulent sites, or suggest that users download software that is infected with viruses. These type of ads cheapen the internet services they are displayed on in the eyes of users and breed distrust toward online ads as a whole.
Yandex is constantly developing tools to improve the internet environment and protect users from malicious and/or useless content such as spam, viruses, doorway sites, fraudulent pages, and "adult" content on sites serving a general audience. For example, Yandex's search engine uses a that gives preference to pages that don't contain harmful or unpleasant ads. Sites containing these types of negative banners are found in lower positions within the search results.
Antishock is yet another Yandex tool that protects users from «bad» banner ads.
What types of ads are considered harmful or shocking by Antishock?
Antishock considers the following types of banners to be harmful or shocking:
- Erotic and pornographic ads
Banners with erotic or pornographic images or ads for "adult" websites. These ads are blocked on all websites except those where they match the website’s subject. Users may, however, tell Antishock to allow such advertising (see Allow erotic ads).
- Aggressive and offensive ads
Banners with graphic images of various disasters and survivors of violence, creepy characters from horror movies, worms and parasites, displays of various diseases and deformities, infected organs and ulcers and grossly obese people. Close-up drawings and photos of private parts and childbirth. Ads with messages about the death of celebrities or predicting the end of the world.
- Intrusive and annoying ads
Animated flash banners. Windows and tabs with ads that pop up when you click on a video, a blank space on a page or when you try to close the ad.
- Ads related to SMS fraud
Banners that advertise websites related to SMS fraud. Banners faking messages from social media. Banners promising to award you lottery winnings, prizes for being the Nth visitor to a website, access to a declassified database of personal information (or the ability to delete your information from it), fortune telling, etc.
- Suspicious banners
Banners with bogus messages about your computer being infected or updates for installed programs; banners faking windowes and other browser interface elements. Banners that promise money-making opportunities without explaining how. Suspicious ads offering treatment for diseases, rejuvenation and weight loss without indicating the medications, treatment method or clinic. Banners advertising celebrity diets, especially if they contain compromising images.
If a banner ad does not appear shocking but leads to a page with shocking content, Antishock considers it harmful and blocks the ad source.
How does Antishock differ from other ad-blocking extensions?
- Ad-blocking extensions may block other elements of the website layout in addition to ads. This may ruin the site's appearance or functionality. Antishock doesn't affect a site's functionality.
- Other extensions may block all banner ads with no exception. This results in lost income for web resources that are only able to function thanks to revenue from normal ads. That is why web resources request that users not use ad-blocking extensions. Antishock only blocks banners that its algorithm identifies as harmful or shocking and does not prevent display of other ads.
Antishock has mistakenly blocked ads on my site. What should I do?
Write to Yandex Browser support via the feedback form. Include a link to your site and the blocked banners in your message. Please also explain why you think the blocked ads are not malicious or shocking.
Antishock allowed a shocking banner to display on a webpage. How can I prevent it from displaying in my browser?
To prevent a shocking banner from displaying:
- Right-click the ad.
- Select Report ad in the context menu.
The banner will disappear and no longer display in your browser. A message about the shocking banner will be sent to Yandex, and if there are a lot of these messages, the ad source may be blocked for all users.
My site's content is not appealing to advertisers. "White" ad networks don't want to work with me and "gray" and "black" ones are blocked by Antishock. What networks can I use?
Antishock was not designed to target specific advertisers or networks. Its purpose is to protect users from malicious and shocking ads. If you care about your users and offer quality content, then try to find an appropriate «white» ad network that doesn't post shocking banners.
I got rid of my ad network's shocking banners, but the network still blocked. What should I do?
If you altered your ad network's content but you still see its name in the blocked list, please contact us using the feedback form.
My ad network is «white» but the moderators sometimes allow shocking banners through. Will my network be blocked?
The Antishock algorithm takes many different factors into account. Your network won't be blocked based on a few shocking banners.
If you believe that your network will be blocked by mistake, write to tech support via the feedback form.
My ad network is gray; both shocking and regular banners are served on sites. What should I do to prevent my network from being blocked?
We recommend putting the shocking advertising in a separate independent section. Then Antishock will not block normal ad sources.
Can Antishock block a major ad network such as Yandex.Direct?
The Antishock algorithm very rarely finds shocking ads and banners among those served by Yandex.Direct and other major ad networks. This is primarily because ad content is automatically moderated and then selectively checked manually. If an ad network carefully moderates its ads, Antishock will not block it.