Isolate tab data
Tab isolation is a mode that provides additional protection for your data. does not allow the programming code placed on one site to receive data from other sites. Malware attempts to circumvent this policy to steal user data (usernames, passwords, card numbers, and so on). Tab isolation will not allow malicious code to steal your data from other tabs opened in the browser.
Why isolate tab data?
At the beginning of 2018, information about serious hardware vulnerabilities named and was released through various media outlets. The first vulnerability was discovered in most of Intel processors released since 1994, the second vulnerability concerns AMD and ARM processors. These vulnerabilities allow malicious code to access the memory that is protected on the level of the processor, OS, or used by browsers. As a result, hackers can monitor the text you enter in apps or steal your passwords and personal information.
Since these vulnerabilities were discovered on the level of the processor architecture, it is impossible to completely protect your computer against them. You can, however, decrease your risk of an attack by taking the following measures:
- Update your OS. We recommend enabling automatic updates and restarting your computer. At the beginning of 2018, Microsoft released corresponding security updates for Windows, and updates for Mac OS and Linux were also released.
- Enable site isolation mode in Yandex Browser. If data isolation is enabled, the browser will launch a separate for each open browser tab. That way malicious software launched on one tab can't steal data that you entered on another tab.
How to enable data isolation on tabs
To enable tab-data isolation:
- In the SmartBox, enter the address«SmartBox»
- Press Enter.
- Under the Strict site isolation option description, click Enable.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Relaunch now.
To disable data isolation on tabs, re-enter browser://flags/#enable-site-per-process in the SmartBox and click Disable under the Strict site isolation option description. Restart the browser.